Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The wonderful cost of childcare...

I received notice yesterday that my kids daycare is increasing their rates. I am used to this, at the old daycare they increased bi-yearly about $10 per child. As I review the new rates I realize that they are proposing my sons rate (preschool) by $10/week, okay. Then I notice that the before and after school rate weekly is going up $15/week, sure! Last I look at my daughters (school age) vacation rate is going up by $40 per week. OMG WHAT???

I figured this must be a misprint however I start browsing right then and there for rates at other childcare centers in my town. Only one other center is higher in rates than that of the one my children are enrolled. All others hold the rates similar to the current one before the increase. Needless to say I feel the need to confirm the misprint with the daycare this morning, only I am informed that the paper is correct.

See, I am a single mother living on practically just my salary to support my two children. I make a pretty penny but still find that even when my kids father contributes, that things are quite tight. There are times when I have to pay bills late because of the cost of living and paying everything out of my own pocket. I receive no state assistance and have not at all in my adult life other than the first few years of being a mom where I required state health insurance for my kiddos and also WIC (cheese/cereal/milk/formula/eggs). So when the daycare all of a sudden informs me that they are increasing rates at $50/week when I was indeed expecting rates to decrease this fall when my son began school by $30/week, well that makes things quite difficult.

Currently I am looking into other options such as the towns park and recreation department for before and after school care. However I will need to find someone to take the kids for the summer months until school kicks back in because they do not have a program for the hours I need for my son since he will not be 6.

Wish me luck!

No comments: